• 4 medium potatoes
• 2 medium carrots
• 4 medium beets
• Chopped pickles: equivalent of 2 fresh cucumbers (using sweet or bread-and-butter from a farmer’s market if they are available)
• 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
• 1 C thawed (from frozen) baby green peas
• Handful of chopped radishes
• One medium kohlrabi, chopped
• 1 C or more slivered cabbage
• Dressing in these proportions: 3 T extra-virgin olive oil, 1 T vinegar, 1 t mustard, dash of salt
Chop beets, potatoes, and carrots. Bring lightly salted water to boil. Add potatoes. When just done, not too soft, remove with slotted spoon. Repeat with carrots and beets. Allow these 3 roots to cool before assembling salad. Retain water for stock. Toss pickles, onion, cabbage, peas, radishes, kohlrabi, cooled potatoes, carrots, and beets in dressing.
Refrigerate for an hour before serving, tossing occasionally until flavors communicate.
Plated here with fresh kale